Thursday, September 15, 2011

Apple (Of His Eye) Crisp

Apple crisp is a classic fall dessert, that is warm and inviting. And it is practically begging to be eaten with Haagen Dazs vanilla bean ice cream. I had a delightful conversation today with my first love, requesting that I make this dish and put it online for him to see. And no, I'm not speaking about an ex-boyfriend or a kindergarten crush. The man I spoke with earlier, my rock, my hero, was my daddy. A favorite of his, my mom made apple crisp frequently. Well, frequently enough for him to get his fill, then request it again. This is apple crisp with a twist. I used not-quite-ripe nectarines as well, because they have a peachy flavor, but the familiar texture and crunch of an apple. Let's hope this warms his heart (and stomach). Thinking of you, dad. Xoxo


 Apple-Nectarine Crisp

7 cups red delicious apples, cored and sliced, peeled if preferred
3 cups nectarines, pitted and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Crisp Topping

1 cup quick-cook oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract 



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sliced apples and nectarines in a buttered 13x9 inch glass pan. Mix white sugar, 1 Tbsp flour and cinnamon together and sprinkle over fruit mixture. Pour water evenly over entire thing. 





Combine oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, melted butter and vanilla together. Crumble mixture with hands evenly over apples and nectarines. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. 

Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream. 

Fresh out of the oven

It's a tough job... But someone has to eat it!


1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure which I enjoy more... The recipes, or the memories?!?
    I'm so proud of the woman you've become!!!
    All my love, Mom

    ReplyDelete